What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, but dangerous gas. It is produced when a fuel such as natural gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. Exposure to CO reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. Fuel-burning appliances used indoors must be maintained, used properly and fully vented to the outdoors to prevent dangerous levels of CO. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances.
What are the health effects of carbon monoxide?
Once inhaled, CO attaches to the hemoglobin in the red blood cells. Hemoglobin normally carries oxygen throughout the body. When CO attaches, it blocks the oxygen the body must have, creating a wide range of health problems.
Breathing low levels of CO can cause:
Many of these symptoms are similar to the flu, food poisoning or other illnesses. So you may not suspect CO poisoning. If symptoms persist, and especially if they get better after you leave the building, CO may be the cause.
Breathing higher levels of CO causes flu-like symptoms such as headaches, dizziness and weakness in healthy people.
Breathing high levels of CO also can cause:
- Anxiety or depression
- Impaired vision
- Impaired coordination
Breathing CO at low levels regularly may cause permanent mental or physical problems. At very high levels, it causes loss of consciousness and death.2
Approximately 450 people die each year from CO exposure related to fuel-burning, residential appliances. Thousands more became ill or sought medical attention.3 CO poisoning is estimated to cause more than 50,000 emergency room visits in the United States each year.2
How can you protect yourself from carbon monoxide?
Make sure stoves or other devices that burn fuel indoors are fully vented to the outdoors. Have a professional check them once a year to be sure they are running well.
- Gas appliances (furnaces, ranges, ovens, water heaters, clothes dryers, etc.)
- Fireplaces, wood stoves
- Coal or oil furnaces
- Space heaters or oil or kerosene heaters
- Charcoal grills, camp stoves
- Gas-powered lawn mowers and power tools
- Automobile exhaust fumes
The following simple steps can prevent CO poisoning:
- Make sure appliances are installed and working according to manufacturers’ instructions and local building codes.
- Never use unvented appliances — make sure all appliances are fully vented to the outdoors.
- Have the heating system, chimney and flue inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician every year.
- Do not use ovens and gas ranges to heat your home.
- Do not burn charcoal, kerosene lanterns or portable camp stoves inside a home, cabin, recreational vehicle or camper.
- Do not operate gasoline-powered engines in confined areas such as garages or basements.
- Never leave your car or mower running in a closed garage.
- Make sure your furnace has an adequate intake of outside air.
- Install a CO detector with an audible alarm in your home and garage.
- Cigarettes, pipes and cigars also produce carbon monoxide. Do not let anyone smoke inside your home.
After an emergency or power outage, be sure to remember these steps so you don’t risk your family’s health. Too many people are poisoned by CO after bad weather emergencies, like snowstorms and hurricanes. You may need to seek shelter elsewhere until the electricity is back.
Should I buy a carbon monoxide detector?